Before "stock cars" meant rolling billboards with multi-million dollar budgets that bear no resemblance to the cars they supposedly represent, the American midwest was full of dirt ovals, where local daredevils would brave bodily harm in stripped down, homebrewed specials. Hotrods & Roadsters of Central Kansas offers a glimpse into this bygone era.
Found on the HAMB, alongside this video:
Sunday, June 11, 2006
Tuesday, June 6, 2006
See, I could be like every other smart-assed blogger in the Nine Circles of Bloghenna (or Bloggatory or Hades 2.0 or whatever they're calling it these days) and celebrate National Day of Slayer with some sort of curse-ory link to the NDOS website or something. It turns out, though, that the Dark Lord is everywhere you least expect him. Here's a brief Who's Who of the infernal servants of evil:
- Catholics. I mean, you knew the Pope had to be in league with something to pull off that hat, right? Confidential to J.R. of Vatican City: Next time, try a snappy fedora. No one will suspect a thing!
- Protestants. I guess it takes one to know one.
- The Jews. I mean, sure they invented the bagel--and have frickin' awesome hats--but any religion that requires you to skip the bacon and the cheese on your clubhouse? Get thee behind me!
- Okay, the usual suspects--Ozzy, Slayer, Marilyn Manson, etc., are a given. But did you know of the evil that lurks within REO Speedwagon? Or Amy Grant? I read it on the Internet, it must be true!
- The US Government. Wait a second, there's nothing to mock here...
Spot any more? Leave 'em in the comments box.
Saturday, June 3, 2006
I went to the Diablos'[*] Rockabilly, uh, Whatchamadoodle[**] hot rod show today. Not a huge turnout--there were maybe 40 or 50 cars and a dozen or so bikes when I got there--but there were definitely some high-quality rides present. Nice tunes, too. Anyway, if you're craving eye candy[***], I've got all the goodies on my Flickr page. Or at least all the goodies I could capture given my sudden onset of memorycardus forgetticus.
[*] The Calgary Diablos, not the Liberty City ones.
[**] Ten second's googlage tells me it's plain old "Rockabilly Car Show", and not some catchy "Rockabilly Rat Rod Rumble Rebellion"-type thing. Hey, a rose by any other name etc. etc., right?
[***] "Candy" being a not-so-accurate term given my photographic ability. 'Spose I oughtta wipe the dust of my lens sometime this year, eh?